Make that Change!

What's going through this sistah's head (and around her head!) on a daily basis?

Sunday, November 26, 2006

My hair is this... my hair is that...blah blah blah


It's been one of those days.... where I try to feel good about myself & I'm surrounded by those that want to shoot me down.
My mom was always there for me. She was my biggest support when I was diagnosed w/cancer & I went through chemo treatment. She helped me move on to a better job. She helped me move into a better house. Now she tells me she HATES my hair the way it is & wanted to know when am I gonna get it done.

I've been saying how I wanted locs since 2003... why didn't anyone listen to me then? I live in FL. Unless you have the $ & time to go to someone's shop & get your hair relaxed or pressed every other weekend, your natural hair is NOT going to lay flat & straight in this humidity. Especially with the length of hair I was dealing with. I really felt like I had no choice but either continue paying someone to braid my hair every month or loc it up. I tried doing braids on my own.... it wasn't too bad, but it was tiring! I like that the locs are more permanent & I definitely don't have to bother with taking it down again.

But man... such harsh words coming from someone you love.

5 Comments:

At 7:04 PM , Blogger Goodnapps said...

Oh Rita :(

I'm so sorry to hear your mom is not very supportive of your hair and it's way out of my league to try and make excuses for her. But do know you have an extended lock family and we ABSOLUTELY love your hair. Your hair has made tremendous progress and looks great, IMHO. It can be a tough road going against the grain of someone who is so close and dear. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Sometimes, it's all about self!

 
At 5:33 PM , Blogger Brenda said...

Hang in there! I know disapproval, especially from mom, can hurt, but as long as you like what you see, don't let anyone's negative opinion get to you.

 
At 4:25 PM , Blogger Ms Stella said...

I know this reply is late but I just came across your blog. I also have a mother that is indifferent towards my locks. She hasn't been as blunt as your mom.

When my mom starts to make little comments about my hair I tell her that I'm fine with not having every strand in place and that I love my kinky/curly texture then I move on.

Your mom loves you and you clearly love yourself. She'll come around. She has no choice but to.

 
At 5:32 PM , Blogger C & C said...

i understand about the hurt words coming from someone you love. until recently i used to feel the same way when my family voiced their unsolicited opinions. i've told them where to go so many times that now they only speak amongst themselves when discuss my hair....lol. keep your head up. your locs are coming along nicely. peace

 
At 5:32 PM , Blogger C & C said...

i understand about the hurt words coming from someone you love. until recently i used to feel the same way when my family voiced their unsolicited opinions. i've told them where to go so many times that now they only speak amongst themselves when discuss my hair....lol. keep your head up. your locs are coming along nicely. peace

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home