Make that Change!

What's going through this sistah's head (and around her head!) on a daily basis?

Sunday, June 29, 2008

At least I can still smile in the rain....


I had the bilateral mastectomy in 2004... & I choose not to use the prostheses' anymore. I just got tired of the whole ordeal so I just go around flat.
Recently at a party a woman came up to me & just plainly asked "Where are your titties". I was stunned. I have 3 pink bracelets on my left wrist. I thought people would have taken the time to notice that & then put 2 & 2 together before saying something like that to me. SO instead of going off on her, I simply stated they are in a jar in a lab somewhere being studied. Then I think it hit her that I was a cancer survivor.
This past weekend another survivor ( that I suspect was drunk) came up to me & told me that I wimped out!
"You shoulda had the reconstruction done! Silicone all the way baby!"
Hmmm.... if only she had asked I would have been able to tell her how I did have the reconstruction, & got a staph infection a the site of the port that didn't get correctly diagnosed till 5 months later when my skin started tearing.... yeah, I wimped out. Does being a survivor give you some increased sense of bravado that you can say & do anything you want? If it does, someone please let me know when I can start being so insensitive to people.
OH YEAH- I'm going through menopause a lot sooner than I thought I would, so that time may be coming soon! Hold on to your hats!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:07 PM , Blogger knotsnlocks said...

Wow! Are folks really that observant? I am an "A cupper" myself so I can appear flat without the padded bra and/or the wrong shirt. What balls this broad had! Well you handled it exactly as I would. You go!

 
At 10:42 AM , Blogger ~Me&C~ said...

I'd say going flat is brave, not wimping out. I commend you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home