Make that Change!

What's going through this sistah's head (and around her head!) on a daily basis?

Friday, March 02, 2007

It's been 3 years now...

I just found a post from Tre's mom... remember that preemie I asked everyone to pray for last year? Remembering how concerned I was for his frail life at that time reminded me of what could have been for my son. That reminded me of everything I was going through...almost 3 years ago today.


On March 1st I said goodbye to my husband... being shipped off to Iraq. I didn't know if I would get to look into his eyes again. I didn't know if he would ever get to see his yet to be born son.


On March 5th I woke up from my lumpectomy surgery surrounded by a bunch of strange & concerned faces... and it finally hit me. This was not just a little cold I was dealing with. It was not just being on the verge of getting cancer.... I had cancer... & something was wrong cuz they were trying to stop my contractions...my son wasn't due for another 2 months!


Then they told me we shouldn't hold off chemo any further. This was a fast growing, larger than previously anticipated cancer. In January I was told it was stage 0. Here 2 months later I'm told stage 2, then after a few more reviews it's stage 3. I get it now....this is serious. Of course I just want the baby to be ok. We let lil man develop til 34 weeks.



Suprise weekend.... March 25 I am told we will induce labor on the 29th. March 26th the Navy allows my husband to come home for that weekend since I will be induced...& he get's to meet his son a day earlier than planned! I actually went into labor on my own on the 28th.


So March 2004 was definitely a roller coaster month for me. Today I am amazed at how the boy that was once 4lbs 6 0z...small enough to wear his sister's baby doll clothes, is right now running around the house screaming for no particular reason & stomping his feet just to make more noise! I ask "Boy, are you crazy?" & those beautiful brown eyes smile up at me & screams "YEAH!" I look at my son's birthday as a lanmark to both my husband's & my survival. Happy Birthday Pooda-wooda! As for me, I started chemo 3 days later. Imagine coming to the cancer treatment center with that hospital tag around my wrist & a brand newborn in a carrier!


And since this is a hair blog, I'll talk about his for a moment. There's his dad. Dad likes to go bald. We would have liked that for sonny-boy as well, but he's not having it. Still mad about the 1st hair-cut 1 day after his 1st birthday I guess. Well we've decided to stop torturing each other with the kicking, screaming, & crying associated by the simple appearance of the clippers. Now he's sporting a low afro. It will grow out 'til it's long enough to braid, then he's going back to corn-rows. Unfortunately Grandma says he will no longer be allowed into her house with braids in his head. Love you mom, but you got issues!

Oh, & baby Tre? He's a big boy now! 1 year old & 23lbs. Whoever said prayer doesn't help is a liar!

2 Comments:

At 10:23 PM , Blogger brunsli said...

Sending you a big HUG!

You're really a survivor. You're probably syaing - well, what else could I do but survive for this new baby's sake? Please know, I admire you!

 
At 6:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

wow, you are truly blessed. happy birthday to your pudda wuda (did i get that right??)

i'm very happy you made it through and continually bless us all with your presence.

{{{HUG}}}

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home